Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A Tisket a Brisket

We had a celebratory smoked brisket dinner for Labor Day.  Andy's new smoker attachment has been working overtime and everyone has bee reaping the benefits.  I also made some awesome cupcakes for this shindig...lemon meringue cupcakes.  I'd been craving some lemon meringue pie, and when I stumbled on these, I knew it would be a winner.

Even I partook in the brisket...it was awesome.  Andy marinated the meat and used a dry rub overnight.  This resulted in a crispy, smoky outer crust with a tender beef in the middle. 

The Smuttynose is just mediocre.  A little hoppy, slightly pumpkiny, but nothing special.


Onto the other star of the show...the lemon meringue cupcakes.  These are a recipe by Martha Stewart; both the cupcake and frosting are Martha Stewart.

I followed the recipe to the letter for the cupcake base and 7-minute frosting; however I did not make homemade lemon curd due to time constraints.  But I will tell you that jarred lemon curd from the store works very well.
This is the 7-minute frosting and it is delicious...tastes like marshmallow fluff.  Don't let this recipe intimidate you...it's super easy and so delicious!

Check out those peaks!

After you frost with the lemon curd and frosting, get out your blow-torch and make that 
meringue shine!  I also added a raspberry for some color.

Now get out there and make these cupcakes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment